ALYSSA WHAT THE FLYING FRICKITY FRACK DO YOU MEAN BY AEROBIC BASE” — you all like every other week.
Lets chat 💬👇🏻
An aerobic base is just a fancy way of saying having the cardio capacity.
I talk about this so often because not all but MANY of you here either
1) have no too little endurance training history
2) don’t do any cardio & only lift and either want to start or want recovery to suck less
3) have little to no running history but want to get better
4) have a fixed mindset that You are not made for cardio.
5) are obsessed with fat burning workouts but have potato’s at mitochondria
6) Only do CrossFit / OTF / F45 and die during the workouts
👏🏻 BUTTTT, here’s the thing. For all of you who fit into those categories, what you likely need is a solid time spent doing some slow + low cardio.
NO, this isn’t the only thing you need & can + should also do higher threshold/more powerful training. But this post is about an aerobic base.
This is a time period spent to helping your body develop more capillaries, better or more mitochondria & basically giving you the tools you need to be a lot better at taking up + using oxygen during exercise for metabolism.
This is important for metabolic health, recovery & speed performance eventually as you build on this.
Slower intensity cardio signals different things & uses our muscles differently than higher intensity, so we simply have a different response.
It’s also easier to accumulate volume in (increase mileage tolerance) & and recover from (bc lower intensity = less taxing, etc.).
If you found this helpful consider sharing it with your cardio-hating friends. We all know they need it 😂👏🏻💕
& if you want help actually doing this, checkout ENDURE — my running program that gets even the beginner of beginners and running haters on the street & actually making progress. Or head to Littlelyssfitness.com/running