LAZY LYSS… fashion?
Any time I post about my “journey” of massive purging + rebuilding my wardrobe the last few years or my outfits, I get an odd amount of questions for a girl who legit dresses like a middle-aged woman who lives in Boulder with 3 kids named evergreen, pine, and kale. But I digress.
I gathered up the questions I always get and answered them here.
For context, I think it’s important to add I started this “journey” when I was making like 1K a month, in debt, and living off side babysitting money. That is not my situation now. So none of this is implying you must go buy expensive things because they are nicer. Honestly, much of what I still buy is on sale, clearance or well, from stores I shopped at even when I was broke.
I often get asked how I start, and honestly, I just started to purge—all of it. Yes, at first, I felt bad doing this. I didn’t grow up with $ and had a bad habit of buying a ton of cheap clothes that were in season for like 6 months or fell apart easily.
I would first try to sell and use that $ to buy nicer or more simple items. But LESS. Think 1 to replace 5, etc.
I now try to shop more intentionally. Asking if what I’m buying is a WANT vs need or a true “yes” item. Aka not just another version of something I can get any time. I don’t always get it right, I have a few items in my closet I didn’t HAVE to get and just try to make use of them as I have them now!
I keep the way I dress simple. I reduces mental effort (a major theme in my life) and is tbh just less stressful. You may not like my style or want to dress like me so please apply these to YOUR style as fits.
I love jackets + earrings for styling up outfits. As you guys know I love a good hoop or statement earrings!
I try to only own 1-5 of any one thing. 1-2 is shoe styles. I also live in the south so am sure if I was somewhere colder I would have a few more winter items. Again, apply what fits to you.
Anyways. I hope this helps. Organizes this all and where I shop. And no one ask me to start a fashion page thank you 😂
Criteria for getting rid of clothes:
- It does not fit you
- You never wear it
- You have not worn it in 6+ months unless its something for a special event (i.e. dress pants for conferences)
- You can’t seem to style it so never wear it
- It has sat in your “donate” pile for a while and you never thought to dig it out to wear
- You don’t feel comfortable in it
- It’s shit you have had for years and are just hoarding just to hoard
- It has no sentimental value (ie. you may keep a race tee you find “joy” from)
- You don’t like it anymore or as much as you maybe first did (try to not buy these items)
- You are not the same person you once were before when you owned/bought it LMAO
Criteria for buying something:
- I look at it, think about it, or it sits in a shopping cart for over a week or month.
- I can picture how I can style it
- I can style it more than one way
- It is a solid block color that fits in with colors I frequently wear/own
- It fits me
- Its a quality piece I actually like rather than a “flashy sale item”
- It fits me in the way I like clothes to fit me.
- I am not going to sweat massive pit stains in it (let’s be honest)
- It’s easy to layer
- It’s simple/easy to make outfits out of
- I can wear it for more than one season/year
- I like it!
(Side note: I do own a good bit of athletic wear but less than you would think. Similar rules apply! I just have more!)